GftK Paving Joint Technology - FAQS - Online Shop
Key Criteria for Selecting the Right Paving Joint Mortar / Grout
The key criteria for the selection of the right paving jointing / grouting / pointing on a project must be defined and detailed / specified as soon as possible to avoid future problems in application, (e.g. delays due to wet weather, staining, excessive cleaning etc.), or the eventual problems in service that will follow with inadequate performance and premature failure if you use the wrong product (e.g. joint failure and paving damage, frost attack, burrowing insects or weed growth etc.).
The most appropriate Paving Jointing Mortar or Paving Pointing / Paving Grout, as they are also sometimes known, should be selected according to the requirements of each specific paved area. These considerations should include:
- The type of paved area, i.e. patio, pathway, driveway, parking area, retail or commercial development, town centre pavements & streetworks, heritage & historic areas such as market squares etc.?
- The paved area’s traffic exposure, e.g. pedestrian, light vehicular traffic, frequent vehicular traffic, or can be subject to heavy goods vehicles?
- The paved area's environmental exposure, e.g. will there be use of high-pressure water jetting or mechanical street cleaning machines, the use of de-icing salts, is it necessary to prevent boring insect attack and prevent weed growth in the joints?
- The application conditions on site, i.e. are the weather conditions hot or cold, wet or dry, and are there possible temperature variations during the works, Could there be residual water in the joints? What is the preferred method of application - hand trowel or wet-slurry technique?), What are the dust and dusting restrictions, what are the waste run-off restrictions, especially from cement and preventing cement grout entry to the drainage system etc.?
- The size and type of paving, e.g. small-format paving, which is regarded as joint dependent - such as stone setts, cobbles and blocks; or is it larger-format paving, which is regarded as more bedding dependent - such as stone slabs and flags, plus what is the paving units surface profile and ease of cleaning and is there any sensitivity to grout staining? Is pre-sealing advised?
- The specific joint dimensions, i.e. the joint width and equally importantly, the joint width, together with the likely variation of these dimensions across the paved area?
- Any other relevant local requirements, i.e. What closure time is available and any critical opening / re-opening times? What requirements are there for the finished jointing mortar’s permeability - normally assessed in terms of litres per square metre per hour (l/m2/hr) as may be required for local SUDS regulations. Is there any specific jointing material colour matching / contrast required? Any other local / specific project requirements.
We have produced the Table below as an outline Selection Guide to the most suitable GftK Paving Joint Products for your project:
For more advice or assistance with your specific project including selecting the right jointing product, the estimated consumption and the estimated time required for application, plus any other aspect of paving jointing, grouting, pointing or repointing, please call 01257 266696 or email email@example.com for FREE Expert Advice.
GftK Paving Jointing Mortar / Grout Selection Guide
|Paved Area / Surfaces||GftK’s vdw Paving Jointing Mortars|
|Exposure / Application||800||815+||840+||850+||855|
|Traffic Loading Exposure|
|Full Jet-Washing Resistance|
|Full Mechanical Road Sweeper / Cleaner Resistance||n/a|
|Full De-icing Salt Resistance||n/a|
|No Weeds or Boring Insects|
|Wet-Slurry Application by Squeegee|
|Self-Compacting Into Joints|
|Working in Wet Weather|
|Working in Low Temperature (+3°C)||n/a|
|Areas of Use|
|Patios & Pathways||n/a|
|Driveways & Parking Areas||n/a|
|Highways & Roadworks||n/a|
|Historic/Heritage Market Squares etc||n/a||n/a|
|Heavy Vehicle Standings etc||n/a||n/a|
For detailed product information and consumption requirements on each of the individual GftK Product Pages where you can also find links to the Product data Sheets (PDS), the Product Safety Sheets (MSDS), along with all other advice and guidance for successful application of the products here:
GftK Paving Joint ProductsGftK vdw 800 GftK vdw 815plus GftK vdw 840plus GftK vdw 850plus GftK vdw 855
GftK Paving Joint Product Case Studies
To review some ‘real life’ examples of Patio, Driveway, Streetworks, Commercial and Historic Pavement Jointing Case Studies around the UK, please follow this link to our Case Studies page, where you can view or download examples of recent paving jointing projects completed by our customers in PDF format. Some of these 'real life' projects are also featured here on the Case Studies page to show the products before, during and after their installation.
For more advice or assistance with your specific project including selecting the right jointing product, the estimated consumption, and the estimated time required for application, plus any other aspect of paving jointing, grouting, pointing or repointing, please call 01257 266696 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for FREE Expert Advice.